The district of Shawlands and the village of Crossmyloof, which included the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Langside Avenue in the Conservation Area, developed rapidly during the 19th Century. Over time, the number of inhabitants in this largely artisanal and industrial area had nearly doubled due to the formation of significant local businesses, such as the Camphill Bakery, which opened in 1847. Following their rapid development the villages of Shawlands (1819) and Cathcart (1912), which included the Crossmyloof parts of today’s Shawlands Cross Conservation Area, were absorbed into Glasgow during the city’s southward extension.
With the prospering of Glasgow as the second city of the British Empire, the transport links by train through the Cathcart Circle and the introduction of the tram network to the outer settlements improved drastically, leading to a further suburban development of the Shawlands area.
As a consequence, Shawlands developed into an immensely vital commercial town centre for the South Side of Glasgow. For more information on the Historic Shawlands exhibition, please download the exhibition booklet here.
All research and content by Aileen Lichenstein, Historic Shawlands, Project Officer (Internship) 2014/2015.